What is HIPAA Compliance?
Is passing a risk assessment enough to achieve HIPAA compliance? Unfortunately not. A risk assessment only address one small piece of overall HIPAA Compliance. According to HHS.gov, COMPLIANCE IS:
1. Implementing written policies, procedures, and standards of conduct.
2. Designating a compliance officer and compliance committee.
3. Conducting effective training and education.
4. Developing effective lines of communication.
5. Conducting internal monitoring and auditing.
6. Enforcing standards through well-publicized disciplinary guidelines.
7. Responding promptly to detected offenses and undertaking corrective action.
Many solutions address only bits and pieces of the puzzle and are woefully incomplete. This can offer a false sense of security and can lead to fines which average $1.5 Million.